Fire crews see gas leak, house fire; praise mobility in construction zone

Kyra Hoggan
By Kyra Hoggan
November 15th, 2018

The Castlegar Fire Department had a busy afternoon yesterday (Tuesday), according to Fire Chief Sam Lattanzio.

He said they received a call regarding a gas leak at a construction site on Arrow Lakes Drive at just after 1 p.m.

“There’s a multi-family housing complex there, and everyone had to be evacuated to their mustering points until the gas was shut off,” he said, adding the process took roughly one-and-a-half hours. “Just as we were clearing that up, at 2:23 p.m., we got another call about a possible structure fire in the 2500 block of Columbia Avenue.”

He said it turned out to be a cooking fire, and residents had it extinguished by the time fire crews arrived on scene.

“One occupant did sustain some smoke inhalation and was treated on scene by BCAS, then transported to hospital,” he said, adding the damage is estimated to be roughly $5,000.

Lattanzio praised MarWest flaggers working the Columbia Avenue construction zone, saying they were able to travel between the fire hall and two incidents without difficulty or delay.

This post was syndicated from https://castlegarsource.com
Categories: General

Other News Stories