Evacuation ORDER issued for Renata to Shields Point
The Bulldog Mountain wildfire (N52497) is experiencing growth and is still being responded to by BC Wildfire Service. Due to wildfire activity and forecast conditions, the Southeast Fire Centre has recommended the current Evacuation Alert in the area be immediately upgraded to an Evacuation ORDER as a precaution.
The Evacuation ORDER area covers the area from Renata to Shields Point on the southern shore of Lower Arrow Lake, including Coykendahl, Brooklyn and Shields. Nine residential addresses are in the order area. The map below shows the ORDER area.
Effective immediately, residents in the Evacuation ORDER area must leave immediately. All affected properties are being visited by Castlegar Search and Rescue with assistance from the RCMP to ensure this information is being delivered to property owners. Transportation is available for evacuees.
Evacuees are advised to check in at the reception centre, located in the Selkirk Room at the Castlegar & District Community Complex, 2101 6th Avenue, Castlegar.
The RDCK has declared a state of local emergency in the area due to the Bulldog Mountain wildfire and the imminent threat of it spreading to properties. The Dedicated Emergency Text List for Renata is being implemented.
People affected by the Evacuation ORDER can text RENATA to 778-400-1771 to be added to a Dedicated Emergency Text List. The RDCK EOC will use this list to send specific instructions to those who have signed up. Instructions could include information like where evacuees should register, where emergency social services are available, or if there is a change or if an evacuation order is lifted. This is a text-only service.
The service is free to register, but standard text message rates may apply.
The RDCK EOC will provide further updates as more information becomes available.
For more information:
· Current RDCK Evacuation Alerts, Orders and Rescinds: https://rdck.ca/EN/main/services/emergency-management/evacuation-order-and-alert-page.htmlor call 250-352-7701 / 1-866-522-7701.
· Sign up for RDCK Emergency Notification System to receive notification of Evacuation Orders. Go to www.rdck.caand select “Emergency Alerts” from the home page, or go to the notification system sign-up page at https://rdckemergency.connectrocket.com.
· BC Wildfire – Interactive Map of Current Fires: http://governmentofbc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=ef6f11c8c36b42c29e103f65dbcd7538
· Public weather alerts for BC from Environment Canada: https://weather.gc.ca/warnings/index_e.html?prov=bc
· Highway closures and conditions from DriveBC: http://www.drivebc.ca/
· For the BC Air Quality Health Index: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/epd/bcairquality/readings/aqhi-table.xml
· For tips about living with smoky skies and wildfires from the Interior Health Authority: https://www.interiorhealth.ca/YourEnvironment/Emergency/MajorEvents/Pages/default.aspx
· Emergency preparedness information and tips from the Prepared BC website: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/preparedbc