Ootischenia structure fire prompts public warning
A fire in the wee hours of Friday morning has the Ootischenia Fire Department issuing a public warning.
Fire Chief George Hamm says the OFD responded to a call reporting a structure fire on Waterloo Road at roughly 12:30 a.m.
“Thanks to the quick actions of homeowners, the fire was contained to the room of origin – the furnace room,” Hamm said, adding it caused an estimated $5,000 in damage.
The homeowners were lodged in a hotel overnight while fire crews ventilated the worst of the smoke.
“This should serve as a reminder to all that furnace rooms are not designed to hold storage items,” Hamm said. “Furnaces and hot water heaters should be clear of all combustibles.”
No one was injured in the blaze.