Order of British Columbia Nominations Open
To the Editor:
Province seeks outstanding British Columbians for highest honour
Nominations for the Province’s highest form of recognition – the Order of British Columbia – are now being accepted for individuals demonstrating outstanding achievement, excellence and distinction in their fields of endeavour.
This is your opportunity to help showcase the dedication and hard work of the exceptional British Columbians in your community by urging your readers to nominate exemplary citizens from their own backyard.
Since 1989, 386 British Columbians have received the Order of British Columbia, the Province’s highest award. Previous recipients vary across sectors and postal codes, but some inductees are easy to recognize, including:
• Baljit Sethi, advocate for immigrants and for equality (2011)
• Dr. Robert Thirsk, astronaut, mechanical engineer and physician (2012)
• George Bowering, First Poet Laureate of Canada and historian (2004)
• Ellen White, social activist and medicine woman (2011)
• Diana Krall, jazz vocalist and pianist (2000)
• Trevor Linden, NHL hockey player and humanitarian (2003)
Completed nominations must be received by the Secretariat no later than March 4, 2016, to be considered this year.
This is your opportunity to recognize the talents, efforts and sacrifices of deserving British Columbians in your community. The process begins with a nomination.
Katrine Conroy, MLA