Survival in the forests — Missing hikers Rick Moynan and Lynne Carmody tell their story

By Contributor
July 6th, 2015

On Monday June 22, 2015 at 8:36 p.m. the Keremeos RCMP received a report of two overdue hikers.

A local Lodge advised that Rick Moynan and Lynne Carmody set out around 10 a.m. to go for a hike and were due back by suppertime, but did not return.

Search and Rescue (SAR) was activated immediately and began a search first thing Tuesday morning. After spending six days in the wilderness, they both emerged.

What follows is their story taken from a hand written letter from Lynne that was provided to police. (Letter is dated June 30th 2015)

No words can describe the gratitude we feel to the people involved in assisting with the search for us. We would like to take this opportunity to take the focus off us and put it more on the people who were instrumental in the search.

Since our return we have heard endless stories about the large number of volunteers, the search teams, the volume of work involved and the selfless dedication and commitment of everyone had.

The search coordinator involved family members to be at the search base site and be part of the process. We are so grateful as that allowed them to keep our Ontario family and friends up-to-date with accurate information.

On June 21st we arrived at Cathedral Lakes Lodge, on invitation from the owners/operators(names omitted), intending to enjoy some hiking and lodge surroundings. The hiking opportunities are amazing and views are breathtaking.

On Monday the 22nd, we set out for a day hike and quite simply we made a huge costly mistake. We left the trail and within hours we were nowhere near where we were supposed to be and were totally lost in a thick wooded area. At that point, it was getting later in the day and we made a shelter for the night.

The next day we heard the helicopters conducting a search so we climbed to a higher location in order to be more visible and this is where we stayed for five days. We knew staying in one location was important as was staying hydrated and sheltered.

We watched the search helicopters from a distance for five days, hoping we would be seen, but realized the focus of the search was closer to areas we were supposed to be.

So on day six, Saturday, we made the decision in the evening that the next morning at first light we would start walking back to the lodge.

Fortunately, the route that we planned proved to be correct. Our plan was based on using position of the sun and the path it took as it travelled overhead. This really confirmed the direction we had to head for. It took most of the day, but we arrived at Cathedral lakes Lodge successfully in about 8.5 hours.

Things happened very quickly for us at that point. As we made our way to the Penticton Hospital, we talked with medical personnel, search personnel, helicopter pilots, realizing the magnitude of the whole search process.

We wish we had the chance to hug or shake hands with every person who contributed their time on our behalf. This has been a truly humbling experience.

We will always appreciate the beauty of this area, the mountains and the amazing hiking, but we now recognize to be safe hikers, we need to be properly prepared.

We have learned a valuable lesson and are overwhelmingly thankful to everyone who gave so much of their time.

Thank you

Lynne and Rick

This post was syndicated from https://thenelsondaily.com
Categories: General

Other News Stories