A WHOLE lot of new programs starting up this week!
There are several Recreation Programs starting this week or continuing from last week. For more information about the specific programs, please take a look at the Fall / Winter Recreation Guide, at www.rossland.ca, City Hall, Recreation, Program Guide. You can drop by City Hall to register for a program or call our office, at 250-362-2327.
· Step Classes: NEW!Step Classes start on Monday, September 29 and run on Monday and Wednesday mornings from 9:00-10:00am at the Miners Hall. Drop in is $8.00 or you can purchase a 10 punch pass for $70.00 at the Recreation Department.
· Zumba Classes: New! Zumba is back on Friday mornings at 9:00am-10am in the Miners Hall! Jodie is an experienced, certified fitness Instructor who is new to town and looking forward to meeting everyone. Zumba classes include core strengthening principles while dancing to fun movement music.
· Co-Ed Recreational Hockey: Co-ed Rec Hockey with Coordinator Erika Bailey starts up Tuesday, October 7th!
Tuesdays: 9:45pm-11pm & Sundays: 9:15-10:30pm Join a great group of people for a fun, co-ed recreational hockey program at the Rossland Arena! This is non-contact drop-in hockey. Full equipment is required and some experience necessary. $10.00 drop-in or $80.00 for 10x pass. **Must sign waiver provided by Erika prior to playing on ice. *Punch passes can be bought from coordinator at hockey.
· Vinyasa Flow Yoga started last week and continues until mid-December. The class runs on Thursday evenings, in the Miners Hall from 6:00-7:00pm. Drop in can be paid for at the class and 10 x tickets can be purchased at the Recreation Department.
· Stretch & Strength Classeshave started up again, on Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 9:00-10:00am until the end of December. Drop in can be paid at the class or a $70.00 for 10x pass can be purchased at the Recreation Department.
· Basketball: Indoor, drop in basketball at RSS starts up this week, on Tuesday evenings from 7:00-9:00pm.
· Pickleball: Indoor Pickleball at RSS starts on Wednesday from 6:00-7:30pm this week.
· Volleyball: Running on Thursdays from 7:30-9:30pm at RSS in the Gym.
· Indoor Soccer: Join Rossland United Soccer Club! Wednesdays 7:30-9pm at RSS Gym. Coordinator Fletcher can collect fees on the court! This is recreational league that is $40/per session
Session #1: October 1-December 10 & Session #2: January 7-May 6, 2015.
· Pottery Class – Make your Mom & Dad a Pottery Mug for 7-12 year olds! Create 2 mugs using slab & coil technique. October 30 (4-6pm) & November 6 (6-6:30pm) $37.50 per person & $5 clay fee to RCPS.
· Halloween Art with Shelley Painter: Make a Halloween mask! $40/4 weeks Thursdays 3-4pm at the Arena Lounge! Starts Oct 9-Oct 30th
· Language Classes for Kids! Although the classes have started, you can still register your little ones!
Preschool Frenchstarts September 24 and runs until December 3. The class is for kids ages 3-4 years with a parent or guardian and runs for 45 minutes, from 10:00-10:45am.
Preschool Spanish starts onThursday, September 25 for kids 3-4 years with a parent or guardian and runs from 10:00-10:45am. The class runs for three months, ending at the beginning of December.
· Karate for kids ages 6-14 years has started on Tuesdays and Thursdays in the Miners Hall. The class runs from 3:30-5:00pm and the Fall Semester ends towards the end of December.
Rossland Youth Action Network
The Youth Action Network is getting going for its 2014 / 2015 season! Mike Kent has lots of great programs and opportunities to roll out this year and the excitement is just starting! If you are a Youth between the ages of 12 and 18 or you have a Youth in that age bracket, please check out the website at www.rosslandyan.ca or “like” them on Facebook at, www.facebook.com/RosslandYAN. The Youth Action Network guarantees that teenagers in Rossland have “something to do”!
The Rossland Makerlab is back! Starting October 9, drop in and get support in creating 3D Models, printing on the 3D printer and all things technology based. Every Thursday from 7:00-8:30 pm for youth 12-18 yrs old.
Parkour is back! Starts Monday, October 6th $5 drop-in Mondays & Thursdays 7-8:30pm at RSS Auditorium.
Mondays: 8 yrs plus and Thursdays: Parkour & Freerunning by instructors discression. Must have waiver signed by parent or guardian of new particpants.
Cross Country Ski Lessons – Jackrabbits Program at Black Jack Ski Club Ages 4-12
Learning the basics of cross country skiing will open the door to a lifetime of fun and fitness! The Jackrabbits program offers cross country ski lessons throughout the winter for kids ages 4-12. The skier development program offered by the Black Jack Ski Cub is based on Sport Canada’s Long Term Athlete Development model and is coached by Volunteer Coaches who have been trained within the National Coaching Certification Program. Lessons run from December 7th – March 8th on Sunday afternoons and Tuesday evenings. Lesson costs range from $60 for Bunnies (age 4-5) to $120 (age 6-12). Visit www.skiblackjack.ca/skier-programs to download registration forms, for more information on these exciting programs for kids, and to learn more about the incredible Nordic club we have in our backyard! You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org your questions on lesson programs for kids or if you would like to get involved and coach with us! Register at the Snow Show and Ski Swap, November 1st at the Prestige Hotel or starting this week at the Powderhound (downtown Rossland).
Coach XC Skiing this Winter!
Volunteering with Black Jack Ski Club Skier Development is a great way to participate in the club community and get involved in delivering these awesome programs. Throughout BC, the beginner levels of Cross Country skiing are taught by volunteer coaches. . Please note that Coaches do not need to be expert skiers! The 4-5 age groups (Bunnies) learns through playing and getting familiar with moving on the equipment. Parents, this course will open the door to have you actively participate with your child in the sport of XC skiing! We have workshops offered locally throughout November, please contact email@example.com for details!
The Monashee Institute – Upcoming Courses
The Monashee Institute is an Education Tourism organization in Rossland. Their courses are designed and delivered by people who live and breathe the Monashee Experience. These folks are subject area experts who are also passionate advocates for the sustainable approach to living that makes our culture thrive and grow. They are eager to share their talents through small class sizes that allow for hands on, experiential learning at every opportunity. “Our community is a “campus” that showcases the best that Rossland and the surrounding area have to offer. We want you to feel you’re part of Rossland and connected to our citizens. Join us – it’s a great opportunity to build lasting connections with other learners through shared life experiences and acquiring new skills.” Check out their website, at www.monasheeinstitute.orgfor course listings, dates and times.