Stretch, step, zumba, flow...
There are several Recreation Programs starting this week or continuing from last week. For more information about the specific programs, please take a look at the Fall / Winter Recreation Guide, at www.rossland.ca, City Hall, Recreation, Program Guide. You can drop by City Hall to register for a program or call our office, at 250-362-2327.
· Step Classes: NEW!Step Classes start on Monday, September 29 and run on Monday and Wednesday mornings from 9:00-10:00am at the Miners Hall. Drop in is $8.00 or you can purchase a 10 punch pass for $70.00 at the Recreation Department.
· Zumba Classes: New! Zumba is back on Friday mornings at 9:00am in the Miners Hall! Jodie is an experienced, certified fitness Instructor who is new to town and looking forward to meeting everyone. Zumba classes include core strengthening principles while dancing to fun movement music.
· Folk Dancing: Folk Dancing in the Miners Hall is monthly and is running this Thursday, from 7:15-9:30pm. Drop in is $8.00 per person or you can sign up with Rossland Recreation for the whole series. This is a fun dance class that focusses on English Country and American Contra dancing. No complicated steps are required, just a sense of rhythm (and humour!) for dancing with the beat of the music. Newcomers are very welcome – come as you are or bring a friend!
· Vinyasa Flow Yoga started last week and continues until mid-December. The class runs on Thursday evenings, in the Miners Hall from 6:00-7:00pm. Drop in can be paid for at the class and 10 x tickets can be purchased at the Recreation Department.
· Stretch & Strength Classeshave started up again, on Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 9:00-10:00am until the end of October. Drop in can be paid at the class or a 10x pass can be purchased at the Recreation Department.
· Basketball: Indoor, drop in basketball at RSS starts up this week, on Tuesday evenings from 7:00-9:00pm.
· Pickleball: Indoor Pickleball at RSS starts on Wednesday from 6:00-7:30pm this week.
· Volleyball: Running on Thursdays from 7:30-9:30pm at RSS in the Gym.
· Pottery Class – Pinch Pot Monster Pumpkins: This one day course on Thursday, October 2 is running from 3:00-4:30pm for 4-6 year olds and 5:00-6:30pm for 7-12 year olds. Children will create and paint a Monster Pumpkin, just in time for Halloween!
· Language Classes for Kids! Although the classes have started, you can still register your little ones!
Preschool Frenchstarts September 24 and runs until December 3. The class is for kids ages 3-4 years with a parent or guardian and runs for 45 minutes, from 10:00-10:45am.
Preschool Spanish starts onThursday, September 25 for kids 3-4 years with a parent or guardian and runs from 10:00-10:45am. The class runs for three months, ending at the beginning of December.
· Spanish for Kidsages 6-10 years starts on Friday September 26 and runs from 3:00-4:15pm.
· Karate for kids ages 6-14 years has started on Tuesdays and Thursdays in the Miners Hall. The class runs from 3:30-5:00pm and the Fall Semester ends towards the end of December.
· Lights, Camera, Action, 2 Day Workshop: This two day workshop is for budding film makers and will teach them story development, film making and editing and result in a completed project to premier for friends and family. Students will benefit from the development of new skills, group work, teamwork and will come out of the course with a project they’re proud of. Saturday October 4 and Sunday October 5 from 9:30-3:00pm.
Rossland Youth Action Network
The Youth Action Network is getting going for its 2014 / 2015 season! Mike Kent has lots of great programs and opportunities to roll out this year and the excitement is just starting! If you are a Youth between the ages of 12 and 18 or you have a Youth in that age bracket, please check out the website at www.rosslandyan.ca or “like” them on Facebook at, www.facebook.com/RosslandYAN. The Youth Action Network guarantees that teenagers in Rossland have “something to do”!
The Rossland Makerlab is back! Starting October 9, drop in and get support in creating 3D Models, printing on the 3D printer and all things technology based. Every Thursday from 7:00-8:30 pm for youth 12-18 yrs old.
BlackJack Cross Country Ski Club – Come and Ski with Us!
Learning the basics of cross country skiing will open the door to a lifetime of fun and fitness! The Jackrabbits program offers cross country ski lessons throughout the winter for kids ages 4-11. The Bunnies Lessons are for ages 4-5 and the Jackrabbits are for kids 6-12. Lessons begin on December 7th and run through March 8th. We meet on Tuesday nights at 5:30pm (Jackrabbits only) and on Sundays (Bunnies and Jackrabbits) 2-3:30pm.
Registration for programs is on November 1nd during the Black Jack Ski Club Ski Swap at the Prestige Hotel, 11am-2pm. The Powderhound (downtown Rossland) will also accept registrations after the ski swap. Please contact email@example.com questions or visit www.skiblackjack.cafor more information.
Coach XC Skiing this Winter!
Volunteering with Black Jack Ski Club Skier Development is a great way to participate in the club community and get involved in delivering these awesome programs. Throughout BC, the beginner levels of Cross Country skiing are taught by volunteer coaches. . Please note that Coaches do not need to be expert skiers! The 4-5 age groups (Bunnies) learns through playing and getting familiar with moving on the equipment. Parents, this course will open the door to have you actively participate with your child in the sport of XC skiing! We have workshops offered locally throughout November, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details!
The Monashee Institute – Upcoming Courses
The Monashee Institute is an Education Tourism organization in Rossland. Their courses are designed and delivered by people who live and breathe the Monashee Experience. These folks are subject area experts who are also passionate advocates for the sustainable approach to living that makes our culture thrive and grow. They are eager to share their talents through small class sizes that allow for hands on, experiential learning at every opportunity. “Our community is a “campus” that showcases the best that Rossland and the surrounding area have to offer. We want you to feel you’re part of Rossland and connected to our citizens. Join us – it’s a great opportunity to build lasting connections with other learners through shared life experiences and acquiring new skills.” Check out their website, at www.monasheeinstitute.orgfor course listings, dates and times.