761 new cases in BC, 96 in IHA overnight
While the entire province of BC is reporting 761 new cases of Covid-19 overnight, with eight new deaths, IHA says this region alone saw 98 new cases., as per the following press release:
“IH is reporting 96 new cases overnight for a total of 4,406.
o Note: a change was announced today to daily reporting, see below**
· 822 cases are active and on isolation.
· Thirty-three people are in hospital; eight of them in ICU.
· Total number of deaths in IH has risen to 35.*
o 1 additional death at McKinney Place in Oliver.|
“Today, Interior Health is reporting an additional death at McKinney Place in Oliver, our 35th of this challenging pandemic,” said Susan Brown, president and CEO, Interior Health:. “It is important for us to remember that each death impacts families, friends and entire communities. With increased COVID-19 activity throughout Interior Health, it remains critically important for all of us to follow public health orders and guidance to protect ourselves and those we love.”
About Daily Reporting:
Today Dr. Henry presented a change to daily reporting. Provincial reporting of new cases by health authority will now come directly from a single lab system automated database in B.C.
This reduces the lag time in the current system that sees the lab cases provided to the health authorities who then provide the updated numbers to BCCDC for public reporting. Daily data will reflect 24 hour periods from midnight to midnight.
This approach will be more streamlined and simpler, and will reduce the risk of errors in transcribing the data at the various points between the lab, health authorities and BCCDC.
This new reporting will also be reflected in the rolling averages that provide a better sense of immediate trends.
What does not change is that every single case is still counted and followed up on by public health in Interior Health.
Update on outbreaks:
· Sunnybank long-term care in Oliver has six cases: two residents and four staff.
· Creekside Landing long-term care in Vernon has 13 cases: 10 residents and three staff
· Williams Lake Seniors Village has two cases: one resident and one staff.
· Noric House long-term care in Vernon has 20 cases: 18 residents and two staff
· Heritage Square long-term care in Vernon has 31 cases: 21 residents and 10 staff, with two deaths connected to this outbreak.
· Heritage Retirement Residence in West Kelowna has 42 cases: 37 residents and five staff, with one death connected to this outbreak.
· Teck mining operations remains at 16 IH cases linked to the outbreak.
· McKinney Place long-term care in Oliver has 77 cases: 54 residents and 23 staff, with 14 deaths connected to this outbreak.
· Village by the Station long-term care in Penticton has nine cases: five residents and four staff, with one death connected to this outbreak.
· Mountainview Village long-term care in Kelowna has 16 cases: eight residents and eight staff, with two deaths connected to this outbreak.