Nelson SAR responds to pair of holiday calls for assistance in the backcountry

Nelson Daily Staff
By Nelson Daily Staff
December 30th, 2015

Nelson Search and Rescue members were busy responding to a pair of calls during the Christmas holiday break.

The first call came Saturday (December 26) that two overdue skiers in the humming Bird Pass area again.

“Subjects were reported overdue after he failed to a meet partner for dinner. Upon some investigating the subject was last seen at the Humming Bird Pass area with a known companion,” said Chris Armstrong, Public Information Officer for Nelson SAR.

“The two were seen going up the pass in early afternoon. Seven members of NSAR were available to respond. South Columbia was also called out to assist Nelson in the search.”

Armstrong said again after a week members were out all night looking in the Five-Mile drainage where most subjects are found.

“The team traveled all night not finding the subjects in the typical location and returned in the early am,” Armstrong explained.

“On the return trip it seems our members were beat to the parking lot by the subjects. They were on the whales back area and were hunkered down for the night. It seemed they had equipment troubles and boot packed down in the early am tired and cold. Our team met them at the parking lot at the same time of their return to base.

“A good outcome once again,” he added.

Armstrong said the second call came from Creston Sunday (December 27) when Nelson SAR was called out for mutual aid assistance to Creston SAR.

Creston SAR was responding to a 911 call from a lost snowboarder on Mt Thompson, east of Creston.

“The snowboarder was dropped by a friend with a snow machine at the height of land on Mt Thompson,” Armstrong said.

“The male snowboarder proceeded off the ridge in a direction he thought would lead him to a road. He was alone and un-equipped for the backcountry. The male became lost but was able to call for help by cell phone.”

Armstrong said NSAR responded with five members and a UTV, arrived at Creston SAR Base along with members from South Columbia SAR.

“At that time we were informed that an RCMP Dog Handler from Cranbrook had proceeded to follow the subject’s tracks on skis with his search dog and had reached the subject but the two needed assistance to make their way out,” Armstrong said.

“Three NSAR members followed the tracks down and met up with the subject and RCMP member in steep, dense trees. A track was set up to an old logging road that was accessible by snowmobile and the team was able to lead the pair out after several hours.”

This post was syndicated from https://thenelsondaily.com
Categories: General

Other News Stories