Alert neighbours keep Saturday morning fire from spreading
A shed fire early Saturday morning was prevented from causing significant damage by alert neighbours, who called 911 right away and sprayed the blaze with garden hoses until fire crews arrived (the homeowners were not there at the time).
“We got the call just after 7 a.m., saying there was a fire and explosion in the 1400 block of Arrow Lakes Drive,” said Castlegar Fire Chief Gerry Rempel. “It was a shed, and was fully involved by the time we got there. A couple of neighbours were helping out with garden hoses.
“It went up a big tree on the property – we extinguished it quickly,” he said. “It was called in quickly, which was nice. It wasn’t a really big threat to nearby structures, but it sure could have been. The possibility was there, for sure.”
Rempel estimates the damage at roughly $5,000, given the tools and equipment in the shed.
The cause is not know at this point, but the fire is not considered suspicious.