Rossland Arena – available ice times this week
Looking to rent ice for a game of hockey or a birthday party or special event? The Rossland Arena has ice available on the following dates and times:
Mondays, 4:45pm-5:45pm This is an ongoing, regular time that can be booked.
Wednesday, November 26 from 9:45pm -11:00pm
The Lounge is often available at the same time too. Consider booking both the ice and the Lounge for a birthday party or special event. Fees to rent the ice and lounge are quite reasonable. Contact the Rec Department to discuss.
2015 BC Cup DH Race Team for Youth 13-17 years
If there are any youth ages 13 through 17 who are interested in training for and competing in the BC Cup DH Mountain Bike series in 2015, we may be the team for you. An information session will be held Thursday, November 27th at 7:00 pm on the bottom floor of the Seven Summits Learning Center. Potential riders and their parents are encouraged to attend to learn more about the team, the coaches, and what’s involved to get ready for the 2015 race season. The program will include dryland training starting in January, on the hill coaching and team support throughout the race season. If you have any questions beforehand, please contact Ian Finke at 250-921-4593 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Selkirk College Standard First Aid & CPR-C
Selkirk College is offering a Standard First Aid with CPR-C on Saturday November 29 and Sunday November. The class runs from 8:30am to 5:00pm each day and is located in the Arena Lounge. Please contact Selkirk College at 250-364-577 to register. There is a manual that needs to be read prior to the start of the class and can be picked up at Selkirk College in Trail.
Rossland Arena – Minor Hockey Tournament, November 28, 29, 30
There’s a big Midget House Minor Hockey Tournament in the Arena this weekend! Come and cheer on the kids on Friday evening, all day Saturday and most of Sunday! The Concession will be open and the stands will be rocking!
Public Skating, Sunday November 30 @ 2:30pm
The early Public Skating on Sunday, November 30 may possibly be impacted by the Minor Hockey Tournament that ends immediately before. If it’s running a little late, don’t hesitate to sit in the bleachers and cheer on the players!!
GMO OMG: A documentary film about where our food comes from and what we eat…
Organized by the West Kootenay Eco Society and sponsored by Ferraro Foods, Nature’s Den Health Store and the Rossland News, this film is sure to make you think! Showing at the Miners Hall on Tuesday, December 2 at 7:30pm, tickets are $10.00 for adults and $8.00 for students, seniors and Eco Society members. (Become a member and get your ticket for free!) There will also be amazing door prizes and guest speakers after the film.
Blackjack Cross Country Ski Club
XC Ski Lessons starting December 7 – Ongoing registration! The season is upon us and registration for Cross Country ski lessons is open!! Learning the basics of cross country skiing will open the door to a lifetime of fun and fitness. The Jackrabbits and Track Attack programs offer cross country ski lessons throughout the winter for kids ages 4-15. Winter sessions begin on December 7th and go through March 9th. Please visit the Powderhound in Downtown Rossland to register for lessons – open at 10am daily, 11am on Sundays. Lesson costs, more information and downloadable forms for registration can be found on our website – www.skiblackjack.ca/skier-programs. Contact email@example.com with your questions!
Watch out for the Track Attack! The Track Attack Program is intended for children ages 10 – 14. The objective is for participants to become technically competent cross country skiers and to utilize their skills to explore a wide range of cross-country ski activities, from back country excursions to Ski Tournaments. In addition, it is designed to: Develop fitness through active play, games and other activities; Be fun; Provide children an opportunity to be part of a sport “team”; Develop competence in cross country ski skills; Expose children to a variety of “adventure-based” cross country ski activities. This program is offered year-round as well as seasonally and is offered after Jackrabbit 4 level has been achieved with many more training opportunities per month. Contact us for more information on Track Attack, firstname.lastname@example.org
Rossland Youth Action Network
The Youth Action Network is getting going for its 2014 / 2015 season! Mike Kent has lots of great programs and opportunities to roll out this year and the excitement is just starting! If you are a Youth between the ages of 12 and 18 or you have a Youth in that age bracket, please check out the website at www.rosslandyan.ca or “like” them on Facebook at, www.facebook.com/RosslandYAN. The Youth Action Network guarantees that teenagers in Rossland have “something to do”!
The Grade 9-12 Snowball Dance is on Friday, November 28 at the Miners Hall! Tickets are on sale throughout the next two weeks. Check the Snowball event page on Facebook for information about where and when they’ll be sold. Sponsored by the Youth Action Network and brought to the Youth of the Community by the Seven Summits Centre for Learning.
The Family Movie Series! “Maze Runner” – November 30 at 6:00pm
The Rossland Council for Arts and Culture and the Rossland Youth Action Network will be bringing a monthly movie to the Miners Hall! The first one is the “Maze Runner” based on the best-selling novel. The movie is being shown on Sunday, November 30 in the Miners Hall, at 6:00pm. Admission is by donation. The movie is rated PG13.
The Rossland Makerlab is back!
Starting October 9, drop in and get support in creating 3D Models, printing on the 3D printer and all things technology based. Every Thursday at the Seven Summits Centre for Learning, from 7:00-8:30pm for youth 12-18 yrs old.
Parkour & Freerunning
Parkour is the “Art of Movement”. Involvement in Parkour requires consistent, disciplined training with an emphasis on functional strength, physical conditioning, balance, creativity, fluidity, control, precision, spatial awareness, and looking beyond the traditional use of objects. The Parkour program is located in the RSS Auditorium from 7:00-8:30pm. Tuesdays is Pure Parkour for kids ages 8 years and up. Thursdays is Parkour and Freerunning for advanced athletes and you must be invited by an Instructor.
Rossland Public Library
The Library has lots of great programs and evnts running in the next few days, weeks and months! On Fridays at 11:00am the Books and Babies songs and story time happens for little ones 0 to 30 months. Every Thursday from 3:00-4:00pm there is something going on in the Library for school aged kids. The Page Turners program is for kids 8-11 years old, the second Thursday of each month from 3:00-4:00pm. The Board Games Club for kids 6-12 years runs the fourth Thursday of each month from 3:00-4:00pm
REC Volleyball at RSS
REC Volleyball at RSS has cancelled due to low turnout. The Coordinator will try to rally the troups in January to see if there’s more interest.
Recreation Programs to check out!
· Indoor Tennis: These classes are meant for parents to participate with their children who are 6-12 years old. Paul will be teaching the fundamentals of tennis through skill progression and games. Children learn best through play and will develop skills with parents to use on the court in the Spring. Must have prior experience with Paul to join in this session. Please ask the Recreation Department about new participant registration.
· Tumbleweeds: A movement based parent / tot program for children ages Infant to 4 years – designed specifically to encourage children to explore movement through play based activities. Physical strength, flexibility, balance and coordination will be emphasized through the various activities. Each week is structured around a play-based routine including; free play, warm up songs, specialized activities, parachute games and ending with a story. Session #1: November 18-December 16, Tuesdays, 10:30-11:15am at the Miners Hall. Please register with Rossland Rec.
· Language Classes for Kids! Although the classes have started, you can still register your little ones!
· Preschool French:starts September 24 and runs until December 3. The class is for kids ages 3-4 years with a parent or guardian and runs for 45 minutes, from 10:00-10:45am. You can still register for the Language classes – registration is pro-rated to start when you do.
· Preschool Spanish starts onThursday, September 25 for kids 3-4 years with a parent or guardian and runs from 10:00-10:45am. The class runs for three months, ending at the beginning of December. You can still register for the Language classes – registration is pro-rated to start when you do.
· Karate for kids ages 6-14 years has started on Tuesdays and Thursdays in the Miners Hall. The class runs from 3:30-5:00pm and the Fall Semester ends towards the end of December.
· Co-Ed Youth Hockey: for kids ages 11-13 years on Mondays from 3:30pm-4:30pm. This is a new program for older kids who would like to play fun, non-contact hockey. Players learn skills and drills and enjoy a game of scrimmage hockey at the end of each session. Players are required to have full hockey equipment including a helmet in order to come onto the ice.
· Co-Ed REC Hockey: Adult, drop in, co-ed Hockey happens on Tuesday nights from 9:45-11:00pm and Sundays from 9:15pm-10:30pm. $10.00 drop in or you can purchase a 10X pass from the REC Department for $80.00.
· Vinyasa Flow Yoga continues until mid-December. The class runs on Thursday evenings, in the Miners Hall from 6:00-7:00pm. Drop in can be paid for at the class and 10 x tickets can be purchased at the Recreation Department.
· Basketball: Indoor, drop in basketball at RSS starts up this week, on Tuesday evenings from 7:00-9:00pm.
· Pickleball: Indoor Pickleball at RSS starts on Wednesday from 6:00-7:30pm this week.
· Indoor Soccer: Join Rossland United Soccer Club! Wednesdays 7:30-9pm at RSS Gym. Coordinator Fletcher can collect fees on the court! This is recreational league that is $40/per session
Session #1: October 1-December 10 & Session #2: January 7-May 6, 2015.
Rossland Museum – AGM and Community Information Night
The Board of Directors and Staff of the Rossland Historical Museum & Archives Association would like to invite the Community to their upcoming AGM at the Rossland Museum & Discovery Centre on November 27 at 7:00pm. Refreshments and light snacks will be provided thanks to the Friends of the Rossland Museum. The evening also includes two short films that will be shown in the Cominco Theatre. For more information please contact the Museum, at 250-362-7722 or go onto their website, at www.rosslandmuseum.ca.
Stingrays Swim Club
Take your swimming to the next level! Check out the Stingrays on Monday and / or Tuesday nights at the Trail Aquatic Centre. Juniors Swim from 5:00-6:00pm and Seniors from 6:00-7:00pm. Their website is; www.trailstingrays.ca
The Monashee Institute – Upcoming Courses
The Monashee Institute is an Education Tourism organization in Rossland. Their courses are designed and delivered by people who live and breathe the Monashee Experience. These folks are subject area experts who are also passionate advocates for the sustainable approach to living that makes our culture thrive and grow. They are eager to share their talents through small class sizes that allow for hands on, experiential learning at every opportunity. “Our community is a “campus” that showcases the best that Rossland and the surrounding area have to offer. We want you to feel you’re part of Rossland and connected to our citizens. Join us – it’s a great opportunity to build lasting connections with other learners through shared life experiences and acquiring new skills.” Check out their website, at www.monasheeinstitute.orgfor course listings, dates and times.