After issuing an evacuation alert for 1137 properties across the Boundary, impacting an estimated 2,300 residents Friday, Saturday, The Regional District of Kootenay Boundary Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) activated the centre operations to Level Three in preparation for heavy rain and possible flooding events anticipated in the region.
The activation includes:
- An EOC call centre has been set up for Boundary residents. The toll-free number for the call centre is 1-888-747-9119. The call centre is staffed from 8 am to 4 pm daily and callers can leave voicemails after hours for non-emergencies. To report flooding or erosion after hours, contact the Provincial Emergency Coordination Centre at 1-800-663-3456. For any other emergency call 911.
- Twenty-five EOC staff including partner agencies are working remotely and on site in the Boundary. The EOC includes full participation from member municipalities and electoral areas, provincial government ministries, the RCMP, search and rescue groups, the Interior Health Authority, the Canadian Red Cross and others.
- An additional 50 personnel from our partnering agencies including 40 BC Wildfire Service crew members are working on the ground constructing protective works or carrying out other emergency functions within the Boundary. All are working together to ensure the continued safety Boundary residents and protection of local infrastructure.
- A BC River Forecast Centre Flood Watch remains in effect for the Boundary Region including the Kettle River, West Kettle River, Granby River and tributaries. This means that river levels are rising and will approach or may exceed bank-full. Flooding of areas adjacent to affected rivers may occur.
- Environment Canada has issued a Special Weather Statement that forecasts strong thunderstorms with frequent lightning and very strong wind gusts Saturday and Sunday. Heavy rain may accompany these storms and widespread rainfall will accompany the low-pressure system Saturday night and Sunday which may strain local rivers.
To register for the RDKB Emergency Alerting System go to https://ca.voyent-alert.com/vras/user-registration.html.
For more information about how to prepare for the 2020 freshet, visit emergency.rdkb.com/Be-Prepared.
The RDKB will continue to update the public as new information is available.