A band from Fernie took home Artist of the Year honours at the seventh annual Kootenay Music Awards this past weekend at the Hume Spirit Bar in Nelson.
Naturalist a brother duo, Sam Moffat and Caleb Brown, from Fernie captured the top prize as well as a performing slot at the 2019 Kaslo Jazz Etc. Festival.
"It was a very enthusiastic crowd at the Spirit Bar on Saturday . . .," organizers said. "This is the third year that Kootenay Co-op Radio has hosted the event that champions and honours our incredibly talented musicians in this area."
The evening began as the awards recognized the founders as well as local promoter Paul Hinrichs for all of the work he has done to bring acts to the area both with his work at the Spirit Bar and Kaslo Jazz Etc. Festival.
This year the Kootenay Music Awards received more than 172 submissions from all over the region. People's choice voting, for Artist of the Year and Video of the Year, tallied 2500 votes.
The Winners Included:
- Best Rock Song: Astrojet "How Do You Break Up With a Friend?"
- Best Hip-Hop Artist: Mabus McLaren - "You Don't Know Me"
- Best Rhythm and Blues Song: Holly Hyatt - "River Flows"
- Best Pop Song: Charlie Pears-Smith - "Little Miss Dysfunctional"
- Best Roots Song: Mr. Dr. Brotherman - "Fancy Walkin"
- Best Jam-Band/ Artist: The Hilties - "Delivered"
- Best Electronic DJ: Mary Ann Marzinzik Spears
- Best Electronic Producer: FRASE - "I Need It Now Ft.Fawna"
- Best Music Video: Post-Modern Connection "Memories"
"Thank you to everyone that came out and supported Kootenay Co-op Radio and this year's Kootenay Music Awards," a spokesperson said. "We are so fortunate to have this community of talent and we are so lucky to be able to support them in this way."