An incident at Teck yesterday led to a temporary traffic interruption, which in turn led to several posts on social media with residents asking what was going on.
Jayne Garry, Community Relations Leader for Teck Trail Operations, responded to an email query about the event. as follows:
- Teck Trail Operations reported a small ammonia leak inside its Fertilizer Operations on the afternoon of April 26, 2021.
- Teck staff and emergency crews responded to the incident, the leak was contained to the operation and appropriate regulatory authorities were notified.
- There were no injuries and no risk to the community or environment.
- As a precaution, Bingay Road, which runs adjacent to the Fertilizer Operations, was shut down for a short period and has reopened.
- There have been two similar incidents since late March; in each of those cases there was no risk to the community or environment.
- Teck Trail Operations takes these incidents very seriously and is investigating and taking corrective action to prevent further incidents.