Trail RCMP are reporting a busy August long weekend, and reminding the public that there are rules around the use of fireworks
Trail and Greater District RCMP long weekend call type summary:
- received requests to check the well-being of local residents;
- responded to numerous calls involving mental health crisis’ and to assist mental health workers in the community;
- responded to calls relating to drugs and alcohol;
- responded to noise complaints including loud music and verbal arguments;
- arrested two people for being intoxicated by alcohol who were lodged in police custody until sober;
- responded to a man who was causing a disturbance by throwing his food inside a local restaurant;
- responded to calls about residents who are living inside their vehicles;
- responded to complaints of public drinking and panhandling;
- responded to three complaints of fireworks being launched within the City of Trail limits;
The Trail and Greater District RCMP Detachment is providing a friendly reminder for residents that firework displays are banned within the city limits of Trail. Additionally, there is an increased risk of fire spreading at this time as hot summer temperatures have peaked in the area.
According to the City of Trail - Fire Safety and Prevention Bylaw No. 2335
- No person shall sell or offer for sale any firecrackers within the City.
- No person shall discharge, fire or set off, or cause to be discharged, fired or set off, any firecrackers within the City.
- No person shall sell or offer for sale any fireworks within the City.
- No person shall discharge or conduct a display of fireworks within the City.
- Notwithstanding section 20 (2), a person may conduct a display of fireworks on special occasions provided that: (a) a permit is obtained from the Fire Service; and (b) the display is conducted by qualified persons who have the appropriate certification from the Ministry of Transport and permits from any regulatory jurisdiction, as required; and (c) the persons conducting the display are responsible for cleanup of the discharge area after the event.